Local 3657’s Health, Safety and Environment Committee was contacted about a serious safety situation at headquarters involving elevator #4 on Wednesday, June 12. (This is the first elevator on the right when the front doors are behind you.) After investigating, we learned that in the past week, at least two employees have experienced the upsetting situation of being stuck in the elevator, which failed to stop on the chosen floor(s) and the doors failed to open. While the elevator alarm seemed to function, apparently, the intercom failed, leaving the trapped employee uncertain about whether the call for help had been received.
The 12th floor was notified of the problem and contacted the building manager advising him to take whatever actions are necessary to address the problem. A representative from Schindler was called to work on the elevator that morning. Patrick and a member of the HSE committee ensured that the elevator was taken out of service and then met with the Schindler repairman and two of the employees who had experienced elevator malfunctions so he could hear a first-hand account of their experiences to better equip him to make the necessary repairs.
PLEASE NOTIFY STEFFI DOMIKE (firstname.lastname@example.org ext. 2559) IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY FUTURE PROBLEMS WITH AN ELEVATOR OR OTHER HEALTH AND SAFETY ISSUE.